- This event has passed.
The Unique Print – Polaroid Emulsion Lifts
May 16 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm$140 – $150
Creating the Unique Print – A One-Day, Three-Hour Workshop using Instant Film Media with David Durbak
Offering a small group of students and photographers a practical introduction to instant film photography with hands-on training on how to load, shoot, process, and archive the black and white and color instant film emulsions, this workshop will have each participant delve into analog instant film photography fun and achieve professional-quality artistic images to keep and bring back home.
When working with instant photography, the most important thing to remember is how different the process is from other photography processes and how the value of that process is unique. Using an old Polaroid film camera can teach a person to slow down, shoot more thoughtfully, thinking about each individual photograph, while learning to love those happy accidents.
Students can use old Polaroid SX-70 and Polaroid 600 series cameras, as well as the new Impossible Project 1-I cameras. If you do not have a camera, you can use one of the instructor’s cameras. Contact the instructor directly if you have questions.
Part I – Exploring What’s New in Cameras, Films, and Techniques
- Camera formats and film types that are still available
- Maintenance and care of cameras and film
- Tips and techniques with the new films
- Hands-on experimentation with available camera types
- Photographing in class with instant film
Part II – Exploring Concepts, Media, and Substrates: emphasis on Studio Still Life
- Demonstration of emulsion lifts
- Hands-on experimentation with emulsion lifts
Materials and fees:
- At least one pack of Polaroid instant film, film type dependent upon the type and model of student’s camera (approximately $25 per pack additional fee for students using the instructor’s film)
- Watercolor paper – 300 pounds hot or cold press paper recommended (approximately $5 per sheet additional fee if using the instructor’s paper)